Global Nutrition Guidelines
The Global Nutrition Committee (GNC) began life in 2010 with the initial task of developing global nutrition guidelines, which were first published in 2011. The goal of these guidelines is to help the veterinary healthcare team and pet owners ensure that dogs and cats are on an optimal nutrition plan tailored to the needs of the individual dog or cat.
Global Nutrition Guidelines
WSAVA Global Nutrition Assessment Guidelines (English)
Resources and Statements
- Body Condition Score - Cat (ES, CH, FR)
- Body Condition Score - Dog (ES, CH, FR)
- Diet History Form (ES, CH, FR)
- Calorie Needs for Healthy Adult Cats (ES, CH, FR)
- Calorie Needs for Healthy Adult Dogs (ES, CH, FR)
- Feeding Guide for Hospitalised Cats and Dogs (ES, CH, FR)
- Feeding Instructions and Monitoring Chart (ES, CH, FR)
- Muscle Condition Score Chart - Dogs (ES, CH, FR)
- Muscle Condition Score Chart - Cats (ES, CH, FR)
- Nutritional Assessment Checklist (ES, CH, FR)
- Selecting the Best Food for your Pet (ES, CH, FR)
- The Savvy Cat Owner's Guide to Nutrition on the Internet (ES, CH, FR)
- The Savvy Dog Owner's Guide to Nutrition on the Internet (ES, CH, FR)
News & Extra's
The global nutrition guidelines have been endorsed by the following associations:
- Argentina - AVEACA.
- Australia - Veterinary Nurses Council of Australia.
- Belgium - SAVAB.
- Brazil - ANCLIVEPA-Br.
- Bulgaria - Bulgarian Association of Small Animal Veterinarians BASAV.
- China - Beijing Small Animal Veterinary Association.
- China - Shanghai Small Animal Veterinary Association.
- Denmark - DSAVA.
- ECVCN - European College of Veterinary and Comparative Nutrition.
- Finland - Finnish Association of Veterinary Practitioners.
- France - AFVAC.
- International Society of Feline Practitioners (ISFM).
- Iran - Iran Small Animal Veterinary Association.
- Korea - KAHA.
- LAVECCS - Latin American Veterinary Emergency and Critical Care Society.
- LSAVA - Lithuanian Small Animal Veterinary Association.
- Mexican Association of Veterinary Medical Specialists in Small Species: AMMVEPE.
- Netherlands - Netherland Association for Companion Animal Medicine.
- New Zealand - Companion Animal Society of the New Zealand Veterinary Association.
- New Zealand - New Zealand Veterinary Nursing Association.
- Nigeria - Small Animal Veterinary Association of Nigeria.
- Norway - Norwegian Small Animal Veterinary Association.
- Peru – AMVEPPA.
- Poland - Polish Small Animal Veterinary Association.
- Russia - RSAVA.
- Singapore - Singapore Veterinary Association.
- Spain - Asociacion de Veterinarios Espanoles Especialistas en Pequenos Animales (AVEPA).
- Sri Lanka – Small Animal Practitioners Association of Sri Lanka.
- Sweden - Swedish Society of Veterinary Medicine.
- Switzerland - Schewizerische Vereinigung Fur Kleintiermedizin SVK-ASMPA.
- Taiwan - Taipei Veterinary Medical Association.
- Thailand - Veterinary Practitioner Association of Thailand.
- UK – British Small Animal Veterinary Association.
- USA – American Academy of Veterinary Nutrition.
- USA - American Animal Hospital Association.
- USA - American Association of Feline Practitioners.
- UK & Ireland - International Veterinary Students' Association.
Join our global veterinary community now! Members who wish to have their country or association endorse the guidelines can download this form
and send to firstname.lastname@example.org.