Address: 1931 N. Meacham Road
Region: The Americas
Tier: Tier 3
President: Dr John Howe
Rep: Dr. Julie Stafford
Vision, Mission & Objectives
The AVMA, founded in 1863, is a not-for-profit association representing veterinarians working in private and corporate practice, government, industry, academia, and uniformed services. The AVMA is the United States’ leading advocate for the veterinary profession and acts as a collective voice for its membership and for the profession. It serves to protect, promote and advance the needs of all veterinarians and those they serve.
The AVMA’s commitment is to advance the shared interests, values and goals of its membership, through a variety of avenues. Specifically, the AVMA:
• Develops positions on key issues and advocates for veterinarians, advancing their ability to provide crucial veterinary services.
• Provides educational accreditation and certification programs that protect and elevate the quality of veterinary care.
• Provides timely and relevant products and services to AVMA members that enhance their opportunities for success and service, and supports them in protecting the health and welfare of animals in their care.
• Educates the public on the important and varied types of work that veterinarians do to advance both animal and human health.
Finally, the AVMA is a diverse and passionate group of professionals, all striving to improve the health and well-being of animals, humans and the environment we share.
Priorities for the Upcoming Year
Vision: To be the trusted leader in protecting, promoting and advancing a strong, unified veterinary profession that meets the needs of society.
Mission: To lead the profession by advocating for its members and advancing the science and practice of veterinary medicine to improve animal and human health.
• Drive Lifelong Membership
• Enhance Professional Development and Lifelong Learning
• Advance Professional Policy and Practice
• Leverage Relationships and World-Class Advocacy Efforts
• Innovate Through Data Management and Business Intelligence
For more information, please see https://www.avma.org/About/Governance/StrategicPlanning/Pages/default.aspx